Love love love this recipe. How could you not? A classic slow cooked Italian meat sauce with a thick layer of mashed potato on top and i am done for the next two days. Actually 3 as no more cooking until that Big Bird is done. As normal re the amounts, be bold and do what you want. You can also add eggplant to the sauce, porcini mushrooms, peas etc. For today I stuck to carrots, and celery. This is also a classic meat sauce that you can serve with pasta but I prefer Old Fashioned English Shepherds Pie and so do the kids.
2pounds ground beef- Call Maria!
A few carrots, one purple onion and 3/4 sticks of celery. All finely chopped
Thyme, Garlic- finely chopped.
1 tin Tomatoes 28oz- again to taste can add less but i love tomatoes- remember San M!
A few idaho potatoes, milk, full fat cream, parmesan cheese.
- First take some olive oil, make hot and add the meat. remember always let meat get to room temperature before cooking. Then brown the beef. Approx 5 mins.
- Take out meat, wipe pan clean add more olive oil and all the vegetables and Sweat for 20mins on a low heat. Then add the garlic, thyme, stir and finally tomatoes, cook 45mins on a slow heat.
- Finally add the meat and cook 1 hour. I also throw in a few cubes of chicken stock from the freezer. I am sure by now if you are following my Blog you too have made this.
- Make the mashed potato now. Boil the potatoes, when done add warm milk, good glug of cream, butter and parmesan cheese. Taste and you decide what you need. Oh yes and salt and pepper.
- Then put the meat in a dish and cover with the mash. Cook 15-20mins on 375F.